Wednesday, July 18, 2007

As easy as falling off a bicycle

There's a really nice bike trail on a former railroad track near Pittsfield. Chris discovered it last year and had been wanting to try it out ever since. Fortunately, we didn't have any bikes in Otis and the one Chris inherited from Scott, was safely locked away in the basement in NY. Safely, because she couldn't find the key for the impregnable Kryptonite lock (no, I did not throw it away!). I haven't had a bike since I was 12!

You can probably tell where this is leading; because after a recent, stay at a Inn in Rhode Island we encountered not only another rail trail, but a shed filled with bicycles! After an initial trial run, Chris embarrassed me into coming out for a ride with her. It was a lot of fun! Needless to say, after that it wasn't long before I was sure that I really needed a bike of my own! AND, buying a bicycle seemed like a good comprise given the other options of a kayak or a rather large rowing boat Chris recently fell in love with. So, I decided to take the plunge so to speak--nothing fancy mind you. Comfortable hybrids with big seats and shocks and the all important hand brakes.

With our cycles loaded on the rack this past weekend, we set off for the trail. We started out slowly (or at least I did) practicing starting, stopping and steering. Stopping seems to be my big problem. I just can't get the timing right and have a tendency to precarious dismounts. The first day I was doing fine until Chris stopped in front of me, and over I went in the gravel; on my knee. It looked worse than it was. Unfortunately, we hadn't thought to take a first aid kit; fortunately, we were only about a block away from the car. The next day we went out again. This time with gloves, helmet and the first aid kit. I carefully practiced the big three (above) and off we went. Four miles into the trip, we prudently decided to not overdo it and turned back. Although there are no cars to worry about on the trail, no one told us about the flocks of geese who, like some drivers, "think they own the road". In this case, they were blocking the path with no intention of moving despite oncoming traffic--both the wheeled kind and people on foot! My indecision about stopping caused me to spill over and ruin my other knee--OUCH! Fortunately, this time we were ready--we had the first aid kit. Unfortunately, the ride back to the car was a little over three miles.

It's taken only three days for me to be able to walk normally again and my scabby knees resemble the war wounds of an active 6 year old. Chris says I won't have to ride again for another week. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: