Sunday, September 27, 2009

Je Parle Beaucoup

Je Parle Beaucoup!


When we first started coming to Paris, I imagined myself speaking the language in no time.  Here we are in our 7th 'rentree' and I still struggle and throw in English or sometimes even German when I just can't think of the right thing to say.  Over the years I've enrolled in various kinds of group languages classes but this year, I'm working with a private tutor, three times a week, for 2 hours each morning.  My mornings with le prof. Isabelle are filled with lots of talk and laughter.  Her goal is to take the 'ugly American' sounds that come from my lips and fashion them into something that resembles the lilting tones of the French!  I sit facing her, looking into a mirror to get the shape of my mouth 'just so' all the while the tape recorder is running so that I can take my lesson home, listen and practise!  I never knew that there were so many different ways to contort my mouth, position my tongue and make sounds in different areas of my throat.  And, by the way, did you know that when Americans speak, our voice register goes from high to low???  Well, here in Paris, one must accentuate the last syllable and end on a high note!  After two hours with plenty of 'parlaying' we go over the vocabulary of the day and she sends me home with piles of homework!  I'm working harder at this then anything I've done in a long time and think I'm making SOME progress.  The proof will be 'in the pudding' when I meet up with my French friend Danielle, who has kindly invited me and another friend to coffee next week--just the girls so that I can practise my French.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  I'll keep you posted.  


A la prochaine,

C!

No comments: