Sunday, September 27, 2009

Crossing the street together

Christina and I do not fight about a lot of issues. That's one of the nicest things about being past the young family days. We don't have a lot of irreconcilable differences about raising children or money. 

One issue that remains a bone of serious contention is crossing the street. Chris is from Canada and has no idea about how to efficiently cross the street. She is forever stopping when the light changes, even if there are no cars moving! Over the years she has become increasingly erratic, stopping and starting like a broken toy. She claims I have traumatized her by heedlessly rushing into oncoming traffic. She gives no credence to my extensive experience and superior instincts. She believes that intersections and traffic lights are sacred. I know they're just advisory. It's like being married to Rudi Guliani (who tried to prosecute jaywalkers).  As a result, we go through a little dance at every crossing. If I, or we, are ever killed crossing the street, you'll know why. Chris stopped us in the middle while trying to go back.

The problem is even worse in Paris because there are many more complex intersections with 5 and 6 roads coming together. In addition, Parisian drivers, especially the omnipresent scooters, motorcycles and bicycles, pay little attention to lights, sidewalks or pedestrians. So, you aren't safe anywhere! 

This could all turn out badly for me! Either I'll be killed crossing the street or Christina will leave me claiming emotional cruelty!  

Rebuttal:  In my own defense, I think this is really a "Venus vs Mars" issue with a little dash of stubbornness (Chris doesn't usually admit to being stubborn!) thrown in--AND it really has NOTHING to do with being from Canada!  You have to picture us -- Paul making a purposeful stride into oncoming traffic while I dig in my heels, and dry with all my might to hold him back!  It would leave you laughing!



No comments: