Friday, January 04, 2008

A great night at Bouley

We went to Bouley last night to commemorate Chris birthday. Unlike me, she is still having them. I decided, at age 50, that I had had enough birthdays. Fortunately, Scott's plane back to SF was cancelled so he and Jory were able to join us. We really look forward to having them around because they get as excited and enjoy 'good eats' as much as we do. Not having had any children, I'm really enjoying the Step-Father experience! Scott is at an exciting age where the opportunities and risks are at a peak. It really brings back memories of those years. Fortunately, in many cases, Scott seems to be making better decisions than I did.

Bouley has always been one of my favorite restaurants - food, service and ambiance are all extraordinary. For example, I was struggling with the choice for appetizer between the "Seared whole Foie Gras" and the "Panache of Three Salads" which included Scallops and Shrimp with a Foie Gras Pate. I much prefer the whole Foie Gras and had this discussion with our server. When I chose the Panache because it seemed more interesting than the "simple" seared Foie Gras, the dish came with the Foie Gras I preferred. I called the waiter over to point it out, thinking he had made a mistake - but rather he had seen my hesitation and switched it in the kitchen. I was delighted.

Chris started with the small Kumamoto Oysters that she loves and was not disappointed.

Jory had the "Return from Chiang Mai" which included Lobster and Serrano Ham with Mango.

For the main course, my "Baby Pork Loin was so tasty, I was reluctant to share. Chris's "Squab stuffed with Foie Gras wrapped in savoy cabbage a top some artichoke puree was truly unusual. With all that Foie Gras we were equally 'artery' challenged.

Scott and Jory shared the "Breast of LI Duckling with turnips, porcini mushrooms and Lima beans" and the "Rack of Lamb with ricotta gnocchi". This all worked well with a very nice 2004 Cote Roti.

Normally, we (Chris and I) avoid desserts. But this was a special occasion and Scott and Jory's combined sweet tooth, especially when it comes to chocolate, influences us both. It's a good thing we didn't all order dessert because our server also brought a sampler of every dessert we hadn't ordered plus the typical Petit-Fours with coffee. It was dizzying--but when all was said and done, the plates were clean.

All in all, it was a wonderful evening and I thought the prices were reasonable for what we got. My only complaint was the $20 cab ride from our apartment. We discovered that parking is generally available in the neighborhood so my advice would be to drive!

120 W. Broadway (at Duane St.)

212-964-2525

No comments: